Independent community hospitals face daunting strategic questions as to whether they can remain a sustainable freestanding provider or whether they should affiliate or consolidate with a regional system. Quorum brings a comprehensive strategic and operational approach to help clients evaluate sustainable options.
Scope of Services
To support the hospital’s decision making process, Quorum’s Strategic Integrated Resources Group (SIRG) develops a strategic market positioning plan based on quantitative and qualitative analysis of the current and expected future healthcare needs of its service area, and guided by the perspective of SIRG’s seasoned hospital operations executives. Hospital leadership (administration, medical staff, and the board of directors) can then understand and work together to address a series of strategic questions identified in the plan around sustaining a vibrant and independent, free standing acute care community hospital.
A Strategic Positioning engagement involves an internal and external analysis of a client’s operational, financial and clinical performance including, but not limited to:
• Competitive analysis of primary and secondary markets
• Trended financial performance focused on:
° Overall strength of balance sheet and operating performance
° Impact on future financial performance with full implementation of the Accountable Care Act (ACA)
° Targeted performance thresholds required to remain a financially viable delivery system
• Physician alignment analysis
• Market share and internal operating performance analysis for key acute and non-acute services
• Strategic options and recommendations re: a consolidation vs. freestanding strategy
• Guidance in selecting and structuring a strategic partner arrangement